Skip to main content

Tankard

John Noyes (American, 1674–1749)
about 1710–20
Object PlaceBoston, Massachusetts
Medium/TechniqueSilver
Dimensions18.3 x 19.6 x 11.2 cm (7 3/16 x 7 11/16 x 4 7/16 in.)
Credit LineBequest of Mrs. Carle R. Hayward
Accession number1983.382
On View
Not on view
ClassificationsSilver hollowware
Collections
Description

John Noyes was the son of a minister and a member of the Third, or Old South, Church and later a founder of the Brattle Street Church. He was well known to diarist Samuel Sewall, who, along with the silversmith, his father, and his brother Oliver Noyes, was a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company. Sewall awarded a silver cup to John Noyes for his superior marksmanship during a training day held by the company in May 1702.

In 1691 Sewall had recorded in his diary that Noyes had accepted borax on behalf of Jeremiah Dummer. It is unclear why Sewall would have brought borax, a material used as flux in silversmithing, to Dummer. However, in recording its receipt, Sewall helped document Noyes’s apprenticeship by placing him in Dummer’s employ at about age seventeen.

Less than thirty objects have survived bearing Noyes’s mark. Yet, his level of accomplishment is clear from the variety of forms he fashioned candlesticks, forks, beakers, and salvers all of which demonstrate a high degree of skill in casting, decorative details, and finishing. This tankard was one of at least nine he made; many carry the dolphin-and-mask thumbpiece on a flat-topped lid. This thumbpiece is identical to one on a simpler example in the Museum’s collection, which has a plain shield-shaped terminal. When inventoried in the 1813 estate of David Parker, Esq., the first known owner, this tankard was valued at $30. It was the only piece of silver hollowware recorded in Parker’s estate, along with seven silver spoons and twelve teaspoons.

This text has been adapted from "Silver of the Americas, 1600-2000," edited by Jeannine Falino and Gerald W.R. Ward, published in 2008 by the MFA. Complete references can be found in that publication.

InscriptionsThe later inscription, engraved alternately in gothic, script, italic, and block letters, and enlivened with flourishes, appears opposite the handle on the body of tankard and reads "David Parker. / BORN IN / West Barnstable Mass. / 1740. / DIED 1813. Hannah . Parker . Howland . / BORN 1778 / DIED 1862."ProvenanceThe original owner was probably David Parker (1699/ 1700/1 – 1788) of Barnstable, Massachusetts. It likely passed to his namesake, David Parker (1740 – 1813), of Barnstable, by his second wife, Mercy Crosby (1703 – 1785). According to the engraved inscription, and corroborated by Parker’s surviving will, the tankard was passed to his daughter Hannah Parker (1778 – 1862), wife of Jabez Howland (1775 – 1848), m. 1797.5 By descent to their daughter Hannah Howland (1806 – 1833), m. Ambrose Haywood in 1833; by descent to their son Albert Francis Hayward (1842 – 1873) and Louise Miranda Belden (1846 – 1911), m. 1873; to their son Carle Reed Hayward (1880 – 1965) and the donor, his widow, Mary Murray (1889 – 1983), m. 1915.
Restricted
John Noyes
1711
Tankard
John Noyes
about 1700
John Noyes
1695–1700
John Noyes
1695–1700
John Noyes
about 1704
Group shot: 13.406-7
John Noyes
about 1710
September Haze
George Loftus Noyes
about 1913
Tankard
John Coburn
about 1760–70
Beaker
John Edwards
1744
Beaker
John Edwards
1720
Baptismal basin
John Potwine
about 1730
Group shot: 13.392-405, 1998.48
John Coburn
about 1764